Have Question?

Frequently Asked Question

Frequently Asked Questions: USA

How early can I start application for admission into a USA University/College

It depends on your readiness and what you hope to achieve. If you are a scholarship hunting student start a year in advance. Usually for all other categories six to nine months might be enough. This is actually to avoid deferring from one intake to another.

What makes it take so long

The application process to the USA is different to countries like, UK and have processes that waits for the outcome of others to commence and some of the last bit are with the government and not controlled by the University. Many USA schools will require SAT/TOEFL test for undergraduate courses and GRE/TOEFL or GMAT/TOEFL for graduate courses. You may want to study over a period of a month or even attend tutorials before attempting these test so that adds to entire time. After submission of application, usually on-line, you need to send paper documents, and also request certain documents sent directly to the school which adds to timing: transcripts, references. You also need to do affidavit of finances to ascertain your readiness to study in the USA. You will also need to pay application fees without which most schools will not look at your file.  If all is fine you then receive an I-20. To understand the procedure please do not hesitate to contact us or ask your counsellor

Can you assist with any of the processes above

Yes we assist entirely including test registration and tutorials

I have a transcripts given to me by my school, can I use it

You can use this as allowed up-loadable documents but the school will still expect full official documents sent directly from your University or college, unopened and marked “CONFIDENTIAL” Only a few Universities across the USA allows uploaded transcripts.

I only have WAEC/NECO how do I send my record

A transcript for a school leaver is like a list of each subject you took and grades tabulated JSSI: Term I, II and III; then JSSII: Term I, II, and III up to SSI and SSII. SSIII will be term I and II only while the WAEC/NECO is usually the term III.

I have OND/HND can I apply

Yes you can apply for advanced standing or credit transfer. We must warn that due to disparity in grading systems, you may need to use evaluation service to maximise transferable credits

I have done Yr1 or more of a Nigerian University can I transfer credit

Yes, you can and should use evaluation service like above


There are some Universities and Colleges who will waive these test, we also have more schools recently allowing international students into a University Preparation Program (UPP) for both undergraduate and graduate studies. It means you need to write these test before you enrol. Those looking for scholarships should do these test as most scholarships will require them. TOEFL is used for admission and not necessarily scholarships. Most schools not asking for tests do not offer much scholarships. Ask your counsellor so as to be well guided.

How can I know my test results are good enough

Most schools have published score ranges they accept and if you do not measure up, you can seek admission into a school that require less or redo the test

What are the duration of Courses?

for a college diploma you will spend two years which can lead to two more years in the University or University college to obtain a BS degree. Most graduate courses are for 1.5yrs except for PhDs that last longer

Can I spend less time on my course

Yes, you can; taking extra unit per semester, enrolling for summer semester can help shorten the length of time on the course. It means you spend more time per year studying and not that you take lesser units.

Can I secure scholarship in the USA

Yes, USA have some of the most liberal administration of scholarships and most students do get some assistance if they require it and have met qualifications set for them. Most are merit based and for most that are need based require in a number of schools that you are already enrolled as an international student especially those whose values are much.

If I am paying my own fees, do I have to pay from Nigeria

Some will insist you pay while some will not make it mandatory.

Does paying fees enhance my chance of securing a USA Visa

Not necessarily, it may help but consular officers look at a number of things which may have nothing to do with your financial circumstance. If a school does not require fee payment, they will issue you an I-20 while those who require it will not issue until you have paid, it will help, if you talk to your counsellor

After my I-20 what next

You should after this secure your I-94 from DHS

Can you assist me with this process

Yes we can although most clients are able to do this on their own but we can assist with explaining further how to do it and options you may have to pay SEVIS fee.